Live chat with a Timbuk2 Rep
Timbuk2 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Holiday Office Closure
- Ordering and Payment
- Shipping and Returns
- Holiday Shipping
- Holiday Returns
- Warranty, Repairs, and Bag Care
- Recycle My Bag
- Additional Topics
- Fabric Guide
Holiday Office Closures
- November 23th, 2018 - Timbuk2’s Office, Factory, and warehouse are closed in observance of the Thanksgiving holiday.
- November 24th, 2017 - Timbuk2’s Office and Factory are closed in observance of the Thanksgiving holiday. Our Warehouse will be shipping out items November 25th and November 26th due to our high shipping volume.
- December 24th & 25th Closures - Timbuk2’s Office, Factory, and warehouse are closed in observance of the Christmas holiday.
- January 1st, 2019 - Timbuk2’s Office, Factory, and Warehouse are closed in observance of the New Year's Holiday.
- January 9th, 10th, 11th, 2019 - Timbuk2’s Factory and Warehouse are closed due to annual inventory.
Ordering and Payment
My order won't go through!
Trust us, we really want your money, so just hold tight and we'll figure this out together.
- Did you get a red message that said to check your payment or billing details?
- Have you moved in the last 8-10 months? If so, our billing address verification system probably wants to use your previous billing address. Give that a try!
- Or, do you have any abbreviations in your billing info? Check your statement and see exactly how it's listed: 'apt' vs. '#',or 'Street' vs. 'St.' You get the idea. Our verification can be super strict; you gotta get it just right.
- No, I didn't get a message, the contents of my cart just disappeared!
- Aha! The old disappearing contents trick. Call Customer Service so we can give it a try. We often have the magic touch!
- I didn't get an email confirmation.
- Did you check your junk folder?
- Still no confirmation? That usually means you incorrectly entered your email address. Whoops! contact us and we will help you track it down.
Also, having an item in your cart does not reserve it, nor does it save the sale price. If we sell out of the item or the sale ends, this change may prevent your order from going through.
I think I was billed twice! or more...
It's possible, but you're most likely just seeing 2 or more authorizations. Please remember that every time you attempt to make an order, your card will be authorized for the total amount of the order. However, an authorization is not a charge! Any unnecessary authorizations will fall off your statement as soon as your bank verifies that we did not process the charge. It may take 3 - 5 business days for the authorizations to drop off. We know this whole thing can be super confusing so give us a call, and we'll double check! Contact us with the dollar amount and your billing address details so that we can check to see if there are duplicate orders in your name.
Can I cancel or change my order?
We want to say yes but we have to say no. Unfortunately, once your order is placed, we cannot make any changes to it. It might be possible to cancel your order. Please CALL US as soon as possible if you wish to do this, as we work hard to get your order shipped quickly and have a very short window of opportunity to cancel orders. Our window is teeny tiny, so timing is of the essence. Please note during sales and flash promotions, order cancelations are NOT possible, the elevated volume make it impossible to locate your order to pull and cancel ready made/stock bags.
Will I get charged sales tax?
For orders shipping within the United States: Local sales tax is assessed for orders shipped to addresses in the United States where we have a brick and mortar Timbuk2 store. All Gift Card and eGift orders are exempt from all sales tax in states we collect tax in! For those states we do not have operations, you are responsible for paying any sales/use taxes with your state tax authority.
For orders shipping to an International address: All Timbuk2.com orders are denominate in US dollars. International orders are subject to duties, tariffs, customs, and value added taxes that aren't reflected in our prices or shipping rates. You or the recipient will be responsible for paying these charges upon receipt of your order. We are required by law to disclose full value (in US dollars) of the package contents and cannot alter this value, this includes the retail values for promotional items such as gift with purchase and buy one get one free items. Check with your local customs office for those charges. Many destinations may be assessed an additional handling fee for brokering these payments prior to delivery.
Shipping and Returns
Can I get free shipping?
Periodically we may offer a free shipping promotion on certain orders, for full details and offerings check our shipping page.
When is my bag going to ship?
Most of the year we ship ready made items within 1-3 business days of the order being placed. Custom bag orders may take 1-3 weeks to process.
During promotions or high volume times this processing time may increase, for the most up to date processing times please check our shipping page or the final checkout page.
The exact timing of shipment all depends on how many orders are in line in front of yours. Oh and just to be super clear "business" means Monday through Friday and excludes most US holidays. Want to know your tracking number or if your order shipped, track it here.
Can I return my stuff?
Ok, we'll let you, as long as it's NOT CUSTOM, was ordered within 30 days, hasn't been used, and has all the tags still attached! Just follow the instructions here.
I ordered my bag with expedited shipping, why don’t I have it yet?
As you may have read when selecting your shipping method we have a processing time for all orders, this means that your order may not ship out the same day that you entered it, even if you selected next day shipping. Please make sure to take into account the order processing time (not just the shipping transit time) when ordering a bag that you need for your flight that leaves in 30 minutes.
Can I exchange my bag for a different one?
Our exchanges are processed the same way as our returns -- you would return the bag to us and we will issue you a refund to your original form of payment. Need a store credit instead? Don't want the gift giver to know you prefer an alternative item? Reach out to us directly and we'll get you set up.
You can purchase the replacement before or after you have received the refund depending on your timing and needs. Click here to setup a return.
Do you shipping internationally?
We do offer shipping to most countries for a charge. All orders on Timbuk2.com are ordered and shipped from the United States and orders are denominated in US dollars (USD). Full details of where we ship, available shipping methods and costs can be seen on our shipping page.
Back to Top
- November 30th, 2018- This is the last day to order a custom bag and be guaranteed delivery by the Christmas holiday
- December 13th, 11 AM PST, 2018 - This is the order deadline to utilize Ground Shipping to ensure a ready made (not custom or oversized) item is delivered by the Christmas holiday.
- December 14th, 11 AM PST, 2018 - Order deadline to ensure oversized items such as rolling luggage arrive before the Christmas holiday
- December 18th, 11 AM PST, 2018 - This is the order deadline to utilize 3 Day Shipping to ensure a ready made (not custom or oversized) item is delivered by the Christmas holiday.
- December 19th, 11 AM PST, 2018 - This is the order deadline to utilize 2 Day Shipping to ensure a ready made (not custom or oversized) item is delivered by the Christmas holiday.
- December 20th, 11 AM PST, 2018- This is the order deadline to ensure a ready made (not custom or oversized) item is delivered by the Christmas holiday. You must select expedited, next day shipping at checkout.
Buying or Receiving Timbuk2 Bag as a Gift
Our year round return policy is 30 days, and any non-custom purchases made in that time can be facilitated through our online return process: click here. For the 2018 holiday season, we have extended holiday gift returns for non-custom items until January 18th or 90 days, whichever is greater, with some caveats:
- The returner must know the Timbuk2 Order number or the Purchaser's name, and must be purchased through Timbuk2.com
- Items must be purchased on November 15th, 2018 or later in 2018
- If the gift receiver would like store credit, instead of a refund to the original form of payment, that arraignment must be made with our Customer Service Team
Warranty, Repairs and Bag Care
My bag is broken or damaged. What should I do?
WHAT? No way! While our bags are nearly indestructible, strange things do happen. Lucky for you, all the information you need is right here. We have a repairs program that may be able to get your bag back into action. For more details about our Lifetime Warranty and our paid repairs program, check out our Warranty and Repairs page. Need a part? Check out our Replacement Parts to see if it can be ordered.
Do you have replacement parts?
Yes we stock replacement parts on our website that are available for purchase. Replacement Parts are available if you want to do the repair yourself or if the broken part is not covered by our warranty. Our warranty policy does not cover accidental damage such as busted wheels caused by baggage mishandling, straps that were chewed up by your dog, or lost parts. If you don’t see the part you need here, or you believe the broken part is covered by our warranty, email a picture of the damaged part to repairs @ timbuk2.com
My bag is lookin' a little dingy, what I can do?
So your Timbuk2 Bag is no longer looking its best and you want to make it sparkling new again. We recommend spot cleaning for your bag.
- Take a damp towel or sponge with a mild detergent and wipe clean.
- For greasier, more stubborn dirt - try plain dish soap or a cleaner like simple green.
- Natural fabrics, such as wool or cotton canvas are best cleaned with a wet rag, synthetic fibers such as nylon or polyester can be scrubbed with a plastic bristled brush.
- Can you wash your bag in the washer? We do NOT recommend it.
- Why not?
- The fabrics have waterproofing coatings on the inside that can be washed away in the washer.
- Some features of the bag might bleed or run.
- It will void the warranty.
- NEVER put your bag in the dryer. Ever. You will cry, we will cry, everyone involved will cry...and any damage caused by the machine won't be covered under our warranty.
Back to Top
Recycling My Bag
Breaking up with my Bag (Recycling a Bag)?
Oh yes, sometimes the day comes when it’s time to move on. It’s not me, it’s the bag.
We offer a Recycle (Break up With Your Bag) program year round, through our Full Line Timbuk2 branded stores or Timbuk2.com. And not just in the super green-save-the-earth way, but in a rad pay-it-forward kind of way. We work with local partners to give your bag a new lease on life with a new owner that can use it. From homeless youth to kids learning to ride bikes in urban settings, your bags will go to worthy causes. Should your bag be so well loved that it’s not donatable, we work with Renewal Workshop to rehab bags or break them down into recyclable raw materials. We have a strict no bags to landfill policy, and we’re always looking for new ways to recycle our bags and keep Mother Nature happy.
Want in on Breaking up with your bag? We offer a discount of 20% off full priced items when you recycle your bag in store or through the process below:
Send your bag, along with a legibly written email address to:
- Attn: Lifecycle Program
- 2394 Folsom Street
- San Francisco, CA 94110
You’ll receive an email coupon within a week of us receiving your bag for recycle as long as a legible email address was included.
Can I buy in bulk?
Want to buy more than 25 bags for your closest friends, co-workers of for an event? Corporate Sales to the rescue! Our Corporate Sales team does wonders with custom embroidery and screen printing. To kick off your own project, contact us here.
Do you offer other custom options for your custom bags?
If you don’t see a fabric color or choice that you have seen before it means that it is no longer part of our custom fabric assortment. We do fabric flips a few times a year, so the selection is continually being updated. We may be able to do some minor modifications that aren’t listed on the customizer, but we are not able to accommodate requests for something that is outside of the original design of the bag. For example, we can not convert a messenger bag into a backpack, or a backpack into a messenger. Reach out to us with your request and we will let you know if we can do that to your bag.
Does my messenger bag come with a cross strap?
Yes, your classic messenger bag should have come with a cross strap (except the XS size). They like to hide, and they are really, really good at it!
Check the inside of the bag. Against the inside of the front wall of the bag, there is a zipper that runs along the top seam. The zipper is pretty hard to see. Fish around in that big pocket and see if the cross strap is there.
If it isn't, please reach out to us and we'll get one out to you ASAP
I can't find the bag I want on Timbuk2.com?
If you don’t see it on our website we probably don’t have any more stock available. We change colors and designs pretty regularly, so if you don’t see your old bag from 10 years ago here, it means we don’t make it anymore. Send us a picture of your old bag and we’ll do our best to help you out. For a recently discontinued item, check with our outlet otores they may have something in stock that they can send out.
About Timbuk2 - OverviewWe’re TIMBUK2. Born and bred in San Francisco. This is our story.
It Was Never About Bags
What began as a commitment to craft and local manufacturing became a revolution in business practices. Learn about how Rob’s unique vision transformed the manufacturing process.
Which Fabric is the most Waterproof ? Which fabric is the most Durable?
With so many different (and amazing) fabrics offered for our bags, both for Custom and non custom alike - naturally, you may be asking yourself What's the difference?
Which fabric is the most water resistant? Which is the most durable? What do all those numbers mean, and what does the D stand for? All Great questions.
Rest assured, that regardless of the fabric you opt for, we made sure to select materials that are tough enough for whatever life throws at you. Each bag flows through a cycle of uncompromising care, craftsmanship, and serious product testing.
We evaluate the performance and durability of ALL of our fabrics and materials by testing their tensile strength, seam slippage, water column, tear abrasion, ball burst, mullens, colorfastness, and other sexy things. Only materials that pass our rigorous testing earn the right to be integrated into Timbuk2 products.
Which Fabric should I choose?
That depends on your needs! The main differences between the fabrics we offer, other than aesthetic (how they look) is that certain ones offer a primary performance function, such as being lightweight, durable, reflective, water resistant and so on. Below is a list of primary fabric functions and which fabrics excel in those areas.
Durability: Cordura Nylon.
Water Resistant : TPU, then FARP, then Coated (Cordura) nylon.
Professional upscale look: Cotton Canvas, Waxed canvas, and Heirloom Canvas.
What does the D stand For?
- Linings - 150D to 210D.
- Main Body Fabrics - 420D to 840D
- Really heavy materials - 1050D to 1680D
Fabrics We Use
Cordura Nylon - Generally, the exterior nylon we use is Cordura. Cordura nylon is known for its durability and resistance to abrasions, tears and scuffs.
Ripstop Nylon - Ripstop fabrics are woven fabrics, often made of nylon, using a special reinforcing technique that makes them resistant to tearing and ripping. During weaving, (thick) reinforcement threads are interwoven at regular intervals in a crosshatch pattern
FARP - FARP is an internal name that we came up with ! it is a polyester backed polyurethane coated fabric, with a bit of a glossiness to it.
Canvas - A heavy, durable plain-weave cotton fabric. We use a synthetic or natural wax that 's infused in the canvas to provide a waterproof coating to help further the weather resistance of the bags.
Twill - A popular weave pattern identified by diagonal lines on the face of the fabric. Denim, chino, gabardine and drill are all types of twill fabric
Polyester - Polyester fabrics are highly stain-resistant, wrinkle resistant, durable, have a high color retention, and can withstand strong and repetitive movements.When woven with synthetic fibers, it creates a material with superior wind and environmental resistance compared to plant-derived or natural fibers.
Poly - OxFord Polyester, Poly, Poly Non-P PVC, and Embossed PU Poly are all derivatives of Polyester and share the same basic properties.
TPU - Thermoplastic polyurethane is used as a liner for our messenger bags and many others. It is abrasion, weather, tear and water resistant. It has been in use as a fabric coating material in the textile industry for over 30 years, and it’s first application was as a replacement for PVC where the "look and feel" of PVC was of value but the performance of PVC was lacking in areas such as flex properties, abrasion resistance, low temperature properties, and cleanability
Each material counts. Our strict product testing is aimed at ensuring that each product we manufacture will stand up to everyday use in the city and beyond. Our uniform test and textile standards are based on ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials)
Fabrics and the Environment
We evaluate the environmental impact of our materials. If it won’t last or is toxic in any way, we simply won’t use it. We will not use materials considered toxic by the global community. In addition to regularly assessing the materials we use, we are constantly on the hunt for new and better material solutions.
Using just enough high quality materials like Bluesign fabrics and smart, efficient construction techniques, ensure that our products are low on waste and high on value. The goal is to maintain the highest level of quality while keeping the cost competitive.
Timbuk2 Bluesign materials: 1680D, 420 matte, 630D, 600D TPU, 1200D non-p pvc, grey texture, full-cycle ripstop, carbon ripstop, 30D nylon ripstop